The Wallis's ~ The Complete Story

Our Territories

Channel Islands
Isle of Man

Our Categories




One can imagine that by the spring they knew each other’s life history by heart and if either had a secret, it was shared. The two ladies became life long friends and each attended the other when their babies were born.

With the help of their cousins farmland was purchased south of Little Sioux and so began the struggle to wrest from nature something more than a livelihood. They were among the first pioneers, bringing up a family of seven sons and three daughters. They never expected to find such fulfilment of their dreams, for within their lifetime this land became a land of well-tilled farms. In 1880 they bought a farm north of Mondamin and lived there until John Wallis died.

The Wallis’ and the Gee’s found places to rent north of the Soldier River. One was on the Ruffcorn Place and the other just north of it.

To give him more space, John dug a cellar or basement in his house. They only stayed for a year and then they rented land south of the Solder River. This was low land and unsuitable for farming

In Mondamin they stayed at the home of John’s life long friend, David Gee and with John’ father, Thomas, spent this first winter with the Gee’s. They had but a one-roomed house. After they each found a separate home, Margaret Wallis said that a wagon never went north past Elizabeth Gee’s unless she was in it and it never came south unless Elizabeth was down to see her.



Previous | Index | Next


Copyright 2001-2006 by All rights reserved.