British Isle Genealogy
 England, Scotland, Ireland, Isle of Man
   Wales, Channel Island, Isle of Wight

Worlingham Parish

British Isles Genealogy | County of Suffolk

Worlingham or Worlingaham

This estate was formerly vested in the Duke family. John Duke, Esq., who deceased about 1649, seized of the principal lordship of Diss, in Norfolk, resided here. It was afterwards the seat of John Felton, Esq., youngest son of Sir John Felton, Knt, of Playford Hall; who erected the present mansion, which has been altered, enlarged, and improved, so as to leave but little of the original building.1 Mr. Felton deceased here in 1703, and was interred in this parish church.

His only daughter and heir, Elizabeth, married Sir John Playters, Bart., of Sotterley; who sold this, with some other estates, to Sir Thos. Robinson, Bart., son of Sir Lumley, and grandson of Sir Thomas Robinson, Knt., Prothonotary of the Court of Common Pleas, of Kentwell Hall, in Melford; who was created a Baronet by King Charles II., in 1681-2. Sir Thomas made this his chief residence. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Thomas Hare, Bart., of Stow Bardolph, in Norfolk; but deceased without issue, in 1743, when the Baronetcy expired. His remains were deposited in this parish church.

After which, the estate was purchased by Robert Sparrow, Esq., who died seized thereof in 1766; when Robert Sparrow, Esq., his son and heir, succeeded; who deceased in 1822, and devised this property to Archibald Acheson, second Earl of Gosford; who in 1805, married Mary, his only daughter. In 1835, Lord Gosford was created a Peer of the United Kingdom, by the title of Baron Worlingham, of Beccles, in the county of Suffolk.

Here were formerly two parishes, St. Mary and St. Peter, or Great and Little Worlingham; and John Jernegan, senior, by his will, which was proved in 1474, gave the latter manor, which he lately purchased of William Core, to his son Osbert, for life. John Jernegan resided at Worlingham, at the time of his decease.

Sir Thomas Gooch, Bart., successively Bishop of Bristol, Norwich, and Ely, was a native of this village; being second son of Thomas Gooch, Esq., by Frances his wife, daughter and co-heir of Thomas Lane, Esq., of Worlingham. He succeeded to the Baronetcy upon the decease of his elder brother, in 1751, without issue; and married Mary, daughter of Dr. William Sherlock, Dean of St. Paul's, and sister of Thomas Sherlock, Bishop of London; by whom he had an only son, who succeeded as 3rd Baronet. He married, secondly, Harriet, daughter of Sir Thomas Miller, Bart., by whom he had issue; his lordship married, thirdly, Mary Compton, niece of the Eight Rev. and Eight Hon. Henry, Earl of Northampton, Bishop of London, in 1675, by whom he had no child. He deceased in 1754.

Dr. Gooch was of Caius College, Cambridge, of which he was Fellow, and afterwards President; and was chosen Vice Chancellor of that University in 1717, and two following years; in which time, by contributions, and his good management, he raised 10,000; which has since been expended in the erection of the present Senate House there. He published three Sermons, preached on different public occasions.

ARMS. Robinson: vert; on a chevron, between three bucks trippant, or, three cinquefoils, gules. Sparrow: ermine; three white roses, seeded, or. Acheson: argent; an eagle displayed, with two heads, sable, beaked and membered, or; on a chief, vert, two mullets, pierced of the chief.

CHARITIES. The town estate here, of which the original acquisition is unknown, consists of the following parcels: A messuage, called the Guildhall, in Worlingham; rent 5: land, in Ellough, two acres; rent 8: marsh lands, in this parish, called Pound's Half Acre; rent 10s. 6d.: nine acres, in the same parish; rent 10: messuage and blacksmith's premises, in Worlingham, 3A. 2 1P.; rent 10. The declaration of trust is in these terms: "That the rents should be applied for payment of the leet fee, of the whole town of Worlingham; and for repairing the buildings on the estate, and the parish church of Worlingham; and for putting out the poor children, belonging to the said town, apprentices; and for the teaching of the children of such poor people, to read English, and for instructing them in the church catechism, and for such other purposes for the good and benefit of the said town; provided that no part of the said rents should be laid out in beer, or any other liquors, at bonfires, or perambulations, or on account of repairing the highways." Thomas Atkin, vicar of Mutford, gave Pain's Close, in this parish, of the yearly value of 40s., for stipends, for three scholars of the diocese of Norwich, in Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge. This close is in three divisions, 30 acres: money rent, 1 6s. 8d.; corn rent, wheat l qrs. 2 bushels, malt 3 bushels.

1. Mr. Davy gives a view of this mansion, in its present state, in his "Seats of the Nobility and Gentry of Suffolk."'

County of Suffolk

Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page

Search British Isles

British Isles Genealogy Records

Channel Islands Genealogy
England Genealogy
Ireland Genealogy
Isle of Man Genealogy
Scotland Genealogy
Wales Genealogy

Other Genealogy Records

Free Genealogy
British Isles Books
Genealogy Library
Canadian Genealogy
Genealogy Gateway
Family Tree Guide

Cyndi's List

Sites I Visit

Garden Herbs
Trade Recipes

Sip of Wine
The Little Tea Book

British Isles Genealogy


Add/Correct a Link


Comments/Submit Data


Copyright 2004-, the web pages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission from BIGenealogy. Images may not be linked to in any manner or method. Anyone may use the information provided here freely for personal use only. If you plan on publishing your personal information to the web please give proper credit to our site for providing this information. Thanks!!!