Hugethale or Vggiceheala
Roger, son of Peter Fitz Osbert, of Somerleyton, in this county, was owner of
this lordship and advowson. He was summoned to Parliament in the 22nd of King
Edward I., and died without issue, leaving them to Catherine his wife, for life;
upon whose decease they devolved upon Isabella, eldest sister and coheir of the
said Roger, and widow of Sir Walter Jernegan, of Stonham Jernegan, in this
Sir Peter Jernegan, of Somerleyton, Knt., their son, succeeded as coheir, on the
death of his mother, to her share of the large possession of the Fitz Osbert
family. Sir Peter was Sub-Escheator of Suffolk, in 1283: in 1334, he sold this
manor and advowson, to Sir Edmund de Sortelee, Knt.
In the 17th of King Edward IV., Roger, son of Sir Edmund de Sortelee, granted
the whole of this manor to the lady Joan, his mother, for life; provided she
claimed no dower in the manors of Sotterley, in this county, and Stody, in
Thomas Playters, of Sotterley, Esq., died in 1479, seized of this lordship; and
William Playters, Esq., was his son and heir. It afterwards became the
inheritance of Lionel Playters, rector of this parish; who succeeded to the
Baronetage upon the decease of his half-brother, Sir Thomas Playters, Bart., in
Sir Lionel had been a severe sufferer during the civil wars, being sequestered
of his living and property; but at the restoration his rectory was restored,
with the title and family estate; which he lived to enjoy many years, and
constantly officiated in this parish church, to the time of his death; which
took place in 1679. He was succeeded by his eldest son, Sir John Playters, Bart.
It subsequently became vested in the Rous, family. In 1764, Sir John Rous,
Bart., was owner; and the present proprietor is John Edward Cornwallis Rous,
Earl of Stradbroke who is also patron of the living.
ARMS. Fitz Osbert: Gules; three bars, gemelle, or; and a canton,
argent. Jernegan: argent; three arming buckles, gules. Sortelee:
gules; a fess between three round buckles, argent. Playters: bendy wavy
of six, argent and azure.
In 1390, John Wareyn exchanged this rectory with William de Thornton, for that
of St. Lawrence, in the city of Norwich. Thornton deceased in 1401, and was
buried in the chancel of St. Lawrence church.
Nicholas Locke, A.M., rector of this parish, and Harkstead, in Samford hundred,
in 1561 was appointed Commissary of Suffolk Archdeaconry, and Official of
CHARITIES. A cottage, given by a member of the Playters family, is let at
£2 a year. A piece of land, 4A. 0R. 37p.,
allotted on the enclosure, for the poor, is let at
£10 10s. a year. These rents are laid out in coals, which are given among
the poor inhabitants of the parish. A dole of 10s. a year for the poor, the
origin of which is unknown, is paid out of land in this parish, called "Gander's
Hill," the property of Mrs. Welch; and another dole of 10s. a year, given by a
person named Walter, was formerly paid in respect of an estate in the parish of
Blythford, but this payment has been with-held since 1782.
Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page