Ubbeston or Uurabretuna
In the 6th of King Henry IV., Edmund de Redysham, of this parish, and Margaret
his wife, conveyed by fine, to John Clere and others, six messuages, several
parcels of land, with a fold course in Castor, near Yarmouth; supposed to be the
manor of Horning Hall, in that parish.
The lordship of this parish was vested in John Sone, Esq., who resided at
Ubbeston Hall. His sole daughter and heiress Mary, brought it, by marriage, into
the Kemp family; being the second wife of Robert, eldest son and heir of Sir
Robert Kemp, the first Baronet of that house: so created March 4th, 1641.
He removed from Gissing, in Norfolk: resided at Ubbeston Hall, and was Knight of
the Shire for the county of Norfolk, in 1668. Sir Robert had issue, by this
second marriage, three sons and two daughters; Mary married to Sir Chas. Blois,
Bart.; and Jane to John Bade, M.D., of Tannington, in this county. He deceased
Sir Robert Kemp, Bart., of this parish, his eldest son and heir, by Mary his
second wife, succeeded. This gentleman married four times, and left a numerous
issue. He died in 1734, having several times represented Dunwich, and twice the
city of Norwich, in Parliament. His eldest son, Sir Robert, M.P. for Orford,
succeeded; at whose decease (unmarried) in 1752, the title devolved upon his
brother, Sir John Kemp, Bart.
This family has been of ancient standing in the counties of Kent, Essex,
Suffolk, and Norfolk. We meet with two very eminent churchmen of the name; John
Kemp, LL.D., Bishop successively of Rochester, of Chichester, and of London,
then Archbishop of York, and finally Archbishop of Canterbury; and Thomas Kemp,
his Grace's nephew; who was consecrated Bishop of London, in 1449. The present
representative of this house, is the Rev. Sir William Robert Kemp, of Gissing,
the 10th Baronet, on the decease of his father, in 1804. Sir William Kemp is
rector of Flordon and Gissing, both in the county of Norfolk. Ubbeston Hall has
been pulled down, and the property now belongs to Lord Huntingfield.
ARMS. Kemp: gules; three garbs, within a bordure engrailed, or.
Porter: sable; three bells, argent.
Edmund Porter, S.T.P., Chaplain to the Lord Keeper Coventry, was vicar of this
parish; and in 1627, was installed to the fourth prebend in Norwich Cathedral.
He was a native of Worcester, and became a student and Fellow of St. John's
College, Cambridge. He became sequestered from his prebend, but was permitted to
live quietly on a small estate of his own, till the restoration, when he was
also restored, and lived till 1670, leaving Sir Charles Porter, Knt., his son,
who was twice Lord Chancellor of Ireland.
CHARITIES. The poors' estate consists of two cottages, with a small
garden, and a blacksmith's shop adjoining; which is copyhold of the manor of
Ubbeston. These premises are let at about £10
a year, and it has been usual to apply the rents, after providing for repairs,
towards the payment of the ordinary expenses of the church-warden's office; but
it appears to be more in conformity to the trust, that it should be distributed
among poor persons.
Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page