Shipmeadow or Scipmedu
In the twenty fourth of King Henry III., Walter de Shipmeadow conveyed by fine,
his right of fishing in the river Waveney, between the parishes of Stockton and
Shipmeadow, and in the cutting of reed, rush, flag, &c., to Ralph Bigot, a
younger son of Hugh Bigot, Earl of Norfolk, by Maud, eldest daughter of William
Marshal, Earl of Pembroke.
In the 5th of King Edward II., Walter de Norwich obtained a charter of free
warren in this manor. He deceased in the 2nd of the following reign, and left
his estate to Sir John de Norwich, Knt.; who procured another charter of free
warren here, in the 31st of that King. He died in the 36th of that reign, and
devised the same to John, his grandson; and it passed as Mettmgham manor.
Sir John de Norwich was the founder of Raveningham College, which he endowed
with a manor in this parish, who held the same after its removal to Mettingham
Castle, in the 6th of King Richard II.
The manor and advowson of this parish was purchased, about 1610, by Sir John
Suckling, Knt., and now belongs to the Rev. Alfred Inigo Suckling, LL.B., of
Wooton Hall, in Norfolk.
The family of Pelyt formerly resided here; of whom was Thomas, son of Edward,
son of John Pelyt, of Blofield, in Norfolk, and Anne his wife, natural daughter
of Lord Segrave. This Thomas Pelyt, of Shipmeadow, married Jane, daughter and
co-heir of William Cannon, of Stoke, by Ipswich; and had issue, Robert, of this
parish; who by Mary his wife, daughter of Edward Downes, had two sons, Thomas
and John. John Pelyt, D.D., occurs rector of Blofield, in 1455.
CHARITIES. In 1709, Francis Warmall gave by will, to the poor of this
parish, 10s. a year, to be paid out of his lands in Shipmeadow, now belonging to
John Lincoln Bond, Esq.; and the money is yearly added to, and distributed with,
that collected at the Sacrament.
Mem. A House of Industry was erected in this parish in 1765, for the 27
parishes of this incorporated hundred, of Wangford.
Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page