Satterley or Soterlega
The family of Soterley became very early enfeoffed in this manor, and according
to the usage of the age, assumed their name there-from. In the 3rd of King
Edward I., Roger de Soterley held this lordship; and in the 8th of the following
reign, Edmund de Soterley had a grant of free warren. He then held one Knight's
fee here, of the honor of Chester, in which county he also held an estate; and
upon his decease, the jury presented that he held the lordship of this parish,
with those of Stoke and Harthe, in Cheshire, by the service of finding one
horseman armed, to attend the Earl of Chester into Wales, for four days, at his
own cost, during the time of war.
In the 17th of King Edward III., Roger, son of Sir Edmund de Soterley, and Joan
his wife, granted the whole manor of Uggeshall, in Blithing hundred, to the lady
Joan, his mother, for life; provided she claimed no dower in the manors of
Soterley, in Suffolk, and Stody, in Norfolk.
In the same year, he presented to the church of Stody, and in the 20th of the
said reign was found to hold one quarter of a fee there. In 1451, Sir Miles
Stapleton, and others, were feoffees of the manor of Rollesby, in Norfolk, for
Thomas Soterley, Esq., of this parish; which manor he had devised to Elizabeth
his wife, and her heirs; she dying before him, he ordered the same to be sold,
and the produce to be disposed of for the soul of the said Elizabeth.
The estate continued in this family, until about the year 1471;. when in
consequence of their being adherents of the Earl of Warwick, it was forfeited to
the Crown, and was given, by King Edward IV., to Thomas Playters, Esq., a
follower of the house of York, who soon after became seated here. He was son of
Thomas Playters, Esq., of Thorndon, in this county; and deceased in 1479, seized
of this manor, and Uggeshall. Mr. Playters lies interred, with Anne his wife,
sister and heir of Roger Denny, Esq., in this parish church.
Sir Thomas Playters, his lineal descendant in the 5th generation, was Knighted
at Newmarket, in 1603; served the office of Sheriff for this county, in 1605,
and was created a Baronet in 1623. He married, first, Anno, daughter of Sir
William Swan, Knt., of South-fleet, in Kent; and, secondly, Anne, daughter of
Sir Anthony Browne, Knt., of Elsing, in Norfolk. His successors in the
Baronetage, until its extinction in 1832, will be seen by the following table:
1st wife, Anne Swan = Sir Thos. Playters, 1st Bart.= Anne Browne, 2nd wife.
|Sir Win. Playters, =
2nd Bart., dec. in 1659.
|Frances, d. and heir of Christopher Le
||Mary, dau. of Sir Augustine Palgrave,
Knt., of Norwood Berningham, in Norfolk
|Sir Thos. Playters,=
|Rebecca, d. and co-h.
Thos. Chapman, Esq.
|Lionel, rect. of=
Uggeshall, who succeeded as 4th Bart.
|Elizabeth, d. of John Warner,
Gent., of Brandon, in Norf.
||Sir John Playters, 5th Bart. who was
twice married, but died without issue.
||Sir Lionel, his brother= 6th Bart.
||Martha, daug. of Talmash Castel, Esq.,
of Raveningham, in Norfolk
||Sir John Playters, =
|Elizabeth, daughter of John Felton,
Esq., of Worlingham, Suffolk
|1st, Anne Caroline, = daug. and heir of
John Turner, Esq.
||John Playters, Esq., only son who died
before his father.
||=2nd, Elizabeth, d. of
Joshua Lewis, Esq., Great Farlingdon, Berks.
|Sir John Playters, 8th Bart.,
Ingatestone, in Essex.
||Sir Charles, 9th Bart Bart., died at of
||Sir Wm. John Playters, 10th
Bart., died in 1832, when the Baronetcy expired.
The estate had been however previously purchased of Sir John Playters, Bart., by
Miles Barne, Esq., in 1744; who rebuilt the Hall,1
and was a resident here in 1764. He represented the borough of Dunwich in four
Parliaments; and was twice married. By his first wife, Elizabeth, daughter and
co-heir of Nathaniel Elwich, Esq., of May Place, near Crayford, in Kent
(formerly Governor of Fort Saint George, in the East Indies), he had Miles, his
His second wife was Mary, eldest daughter of George Thornhill, Esq., of
Diddington, in Huntingdonshire; to whom she bore eight sons, and six daughters.
Mr. Barne deceased in 1780, and was succeeded by his eldest son, Miles Barne,
Esq., M.P. for Dunwich, from 1791 to 1796; at whose decease, unmarried, in 1825,
the estate devolved upon his half-brother, Michael Barne, Esq., Lieutenant
Colonel of the 7th regiment of Dragoons; who is the present proprietor.
Barne, and Snowdon Barne, were elder brothers of the present possessor; the
former sat as Member of Parliament for Dunwich, from 1777, to 1790, and was
afterwards a Commissioner of Taxes. He deceased in 1829, unmarried. The latter
was also M.P. for the same borough, from 1796 to 181 2, Lord Treasurer's
Remembrancer, afterwards a Lord of the Treasury, from 1809 to 1812, and then a
Commissioner of the Customs. Snowdon Barne deceased in 1825, unmarried.
This family derive from Sir George Barne, Knt., Lord Mayor of London, in 1552,
from a second Sir George Barne, Knt., who filled that office in 1586; and from
Sir William Barne, Knt., who resided at Woolwich, and married Anne, daughter of
Dr. Edwin Sandys, Archbishop of York. Colonel Barne, the present representative
of this house, married Mary, daughter of Ascogh Boucherett, Esq., of Willingham
and Shillingborough, in Lincolnshire; and has issue, Frederick Barne, Esq., of
The Tye family, of Easton, in Loes hundred, held some interest here. Sir Robert
de Tye, who deceased in 1415, was interred in this parish church. Weever also
mentions an inscription here to "Monsieur Quier de Welyngton et dame Hawes sa
femme;" and Cotman has an etching of a brass to the memory of Thomazine, late
wife of William Playters, Esq., daughter and co-heir of Edmund Tyrrell, of
Betches, in Essex; who deceased in 1578, and was buried here.
ARMS. Soterley: gules; a fess between three round buckles, argent.
Playters: bendy wavy of six, argent and azure. Barne: quarterly;
first and fourth, azure, three leopards' heads, argent; second and third,
argent, a chevron, azure, between three Cornish choughs, proper.
CHARITIES. A rent charge of £6 a year for
the poor of this parish, was devised by Thomas Jollye, in 1616; and charged upon
one moiety of the manor of Benacre, in this county, now the property of Sir
Thomas S. Gooch, Bart.; which is distributed among poor people at Easter. A
cottage, in two tenements, is occupied by two poor persons, rent free. An
allotment of five acres, set out for the poor on an enclosure, lets at
£6 10s. a year, and the rent is distributed
with Jollye's annuity, except about £30s. a
year to poor persons, in casual distress.
1. A view of this mansion is engraved in Davy's
"Seats of the Noblemen and Gentlemen in Suffolk."
Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page