Romburc or Wanburn
The lordship of this parish was held by Ralph Guadir (de Waer, or Wayer), Earl
of Norfolk, soon after the conquest, who forfeited the same; after which
Ulketel, the Conqueror's Bailiff or Steward, seized it, and did suit of court
here. It appears Alan, Earl of Richmond, held the same soon afterwards; who
founded the Monastery here between 1064 and 1070.
This house was of the Benedictine order, and dedicated to St. Michael, or St.
Felix; and at the above period, brother Blakere, and other monks, from St.
Bennet's, at Hulme, in Norfolk, were appointed to begin a small religious
establishment here, subordinate to that Abbey; and it was endowed with several
churches and lands.
In the time of King Henry I., this cell, with all its endowments, was given by
Stephen, Duke of Britaign, and Earl of Richmond, brother of Alan, or his son,
Alan the third, father of the Duke Conan, to the Abbey of St. Mary, at York.
In the reign of William Rufus, William de Eschois, for the benefit of the soul
of that King, his lord, gave to the monks of St. Mary's Abbey, by York walls,
the advowsons of Banham and Wilby churches, in Norfolk; with possessions in
those parishes, and in Bawburgh, Cossey, Swaffham, &c. These were granted by the
said Abbey, to their Priory, or cell in this parish; to which they belonged
until the dissolution. Several other churches were impropriated to this
Monastery, with tithes in other parishes, both in Suffolk and Norfolk.
John de Nerford held of the King, in capite, in the 38th of Edward III., 1364,
the advowson of the Priory church of Rumburgh, and the manor of Wysete, with the
appurtenances, by the service of one Knight's fee.
This was one of the small Priories which were suppressed before the general
dissolution, and was given, by the King, to Cardinal Wolsey, for his College, at
Ipswich, in 1528. The remains of the Priory are converted into a farm house,
which was lately, together with the manor, the property of Miss Jessop. Its
valuation, in "Tax. Eccles.," A.D. 1291, in eleven parishes, was .10 12s. 11¾d.
CHARITIES. The town estate here consists of the following particulars: a
messuage, called the "Bears," in the parish of St. Peter, Southelmham, with the
buildings and lands thereto belonging; containing, by estimation, 18 acres. A
close, in the parish of St. Michael, Southelmham, called "Warpullocks,"
containing about 14 acres; an enclosure in the last mentioned parish, containing
about 7 acres; and an enclosure called "Rumburgh Town Close," in Spexhall,
containing about 5 acres. These lands and premises were lately let at rents
amounting together to £43 per annum; which
ore applied for such general uses, for the common good of the inhabitants, as
the trustees think most advisable.
Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page