British Isle Genealogy
 England, Scotland, Ireland, Isle of Man
   Wales, Channel Island, Isle of Wight
 

Pettestree Parish

British Isles Genealogy | County of Suffolk
 

Pettestree
Pettistree or Pitedre

The lordship of this parish was anciently vested in the De Uffords, Earls of Suffolk. Francis, third son of Edmund Bacon, Esq., of Hessett, in this county, resided here. He married, first, Elizabeth, daughter of ________ Cotton, of Great Barton, in the same county, by whom he had an only daughter, Elizabeth; and secondly, Mary, only daughter and heiress of Sir George Blenerhaysett, of Frense, in Norfolk, Knt., and widow of Thomas Culpeper, Esq., by whom he had no issue. He died in 1580, and was buried in this parish church; where figures in brass, of himself and his two wives,1 with an inscription to his memory, still remains. Mary his wife, survived until 1587, and was buried at Frense.

The manor of Pestries, or Over Pestries, is now vested in Mrs. North, of Glemham.

The family of Wyard were long resident here, but became extinct in or about 1760.

In 1413, this church was impropriated to the Austin Nuns, of Campsey; the advowson of the vicarage is now in the Crown; but the rectorial tithes of this parish, with the hamlet of Bing, and those of Wickham-Market, became in 1718, vested in trustees, by the will of Mr. John Pemberton, Portman of Ipswich, who bequeathed them for charitable uses; namely, an annuity to poor

widows and orphans of clergymen, and the residue to the charity-schools of Grey-Coat Boys and Blue-Coat Girls, in Ipswich.

The tithes above mentioned lately let at upwards of 455 per annum; which sum, after deducting 50 for the above institution, is paid to the treasurer of the said charity.

CHARITIES. The town estate comprises a house used as a work-house, and about 17 acres of copyhold land, which are let at a rent of 25 15s. a year. It is unknown upon what particular trust the lands were first surrendered to trustees, but the rents are applied conformably to old usage, in lieu of, and for the same purposes as a church assessment. The sum of 5 a year was charged, by the will of John Jessup, in 1717, on land in this parish, now the property of Mr. Philip Dykes; to be laid out in bread, to be distributed every other Sunday among poor persons attending church. The trustees of Mill's charity, at Framlingham, in conformity with the directions of the donor, send 5s. worth of bread to be distributed among poor persons of this parish, at the church.


1. Etchings of these are given in "Cot man's Suffolk Brasses."

County of Suffolk

Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page

Search British Isles
 

British Isles Genealogy Records

Channel Islands Genealogy
England Genealogy
Ireland Genealogy
Isle of Man Genealogy
Scotland Genealogy
Wales Genealogy

Other Genealogy Records

Free Genealogy
British Isles Books
Genealogy Library
Canadian Genealogy
Genealogy Gateway
SurnameWeb
Family Tree Guide

Cyndi's List

Sites I Visit

Garden Herbs
Trade Recipes

Sip of Wine
The Little Tea Book

British Isles Genealogy

 

Add/Correct a Link

 

Comments/Submit Data


 

Copyright 2004-, the web pages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission from BIGenealogy. Images may not be linked to in any manner or method. Anyone may use the information provided here freely for personal use only. If you plan on publishing your personal information to the web please give proper credit to our site for providing this information. Thanks!!!