Ottley or Oteleia
In the 9th of King Edward I., this was the lordship of John de Paynell, hut
afterwards of Richard Beauchamp, Earl of Worcester, who left it to Elizabeth,
his sole daughter and heiress. She married Edward Neville, who in her right
became Lord Bergavenny.
They had issue two sons, Richard and George: she died before her husband; he, by
the courtesy of England, enjoyed this lordship, and her other possessions for
life, and died seized thereof, the 16th of King Edward IV.; when George Neville,
Lord Abergavenny became seized thereof, Richard, his elder brother, having died
This estate afterwards became the property of the Rebow family, and now belongs
to General Francis Clater Rebow, of Wivenhoe, Essex.
The Rectory is in the gift of the Earl of Abergavenny, and the present rector,
the Rev. Francis Stor.
The family of Gosnold were for many generations seated in this parish, and
formed many honorable alliances with the Tollemache, Naunton, Wingfield, and
Ursula, daughter of Anthony Gosnold, of this parish, married Francis, second son
of Gregory Pratt, by Ann, daughter and co-heir of William Cocket, of Besthorp,
in Norfolk, Esq. Their son, Edward Pratt, Esq., died in 1664, without issue.
The ancient family of Armiger were interested here. In the 11th of King Richard
II., Robert Armiger held a messuage and lands in this parish, called
"Armiger's," and lands in Clopton, in this county. His descendants continued to
reside here for several ages.
John Armiger, of Ottley, died in 1539: Thomas, his son, married Elizabeth,
daughter of Thomas Heigham, of Heigham Hall, in Gazely, in this county, Esq.,
and was father of Thomas Armiger, of Bury St. Edmund's, and lord of Monewden, in
this county. He married Jane, daughter and co-heir of John Eyre, Esq., receiver
of the revenues of King Edward VI., in Suffolk; and had issue Thomas, his son
and heir, who resided at Thrandeston, in this county.
CHARITIES. The yearly sum of £1, given by Geoffry Pleasants, for the poor
of this parish, is paid by the Corporation of Ipswich, out of the third part of
a farm in Ottley, belonging to Christ's Hospital, at Ipswich, and is given away
in bread to the most needy poor, by the churchwardens.
Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page