Monewden, or Munegadena
A moiety of this lordship was held of Framlingham Castle, by knight's service,
and the other moiety of the honor of Lancaster, by the same service. It was, in
the Conqueror's time, the possession of Odo de Campania, 1st Earl of Albermarle
and Holderness, whose wife, Matilda, was half sister, by the mother, to King
When it passed from his family the Weylands became lords thereof; and in 1263,
William Weyland, Esq., purchased the advowson of this parish church of John de
Kettlebars, Esq., to be held of the manor of Kettlebars: from the Weylands both
the manor and advowson passed to the several families of Ap-Adams, Hastings,
Reve, Zouch, and Kingsmill, to Richard Lord Gorges, of the Kingdom of Ireland,
who held the manor, the hall, and the demesne lands for life; but the patronage
of the church was severed from the manor before his time.
Near the church, towards the north-west, there was anciently a park, and in the
reign of King Henry III., Henry de Mungehedon, who lived in this parish, held
land here of John de Weyland, as lord of the manor, by military service; which
probably was this park, for that was not part of the demesne of the said manor.
In the reign of King Henry VII., John Rivet, Gent., a descendant of Sir Thomas
Ryvet, of Chipenham, in Kent, resided at Monewden Lodge, in this parish, and by
Christian his wife, had issue Andrew Rivet, afterwards of Brandeston Hall, and
William Rivet, LL.D., Archdeacon of Suffolk in the 38th of King Henry VIII.
In the time of Queen Elizabeth, William Reve, Gent., was owner of this manor,
and resided at the Hall. By Rose his wife, he had issue ten sons and five
daughters. He deceased in 1567, and was buried in this parish church; as was
also Thomas, his fourth son, senior Fellow of Gonville and Caius College,
Cambridge. He died in 1595, in the 35th year of his age.
Thomas Armiger, of St. Edmund's Bury, held a lordship in this parish; son of
Thomas Armiger, Esq., and Elizabeth his wife, the daughter of Thomas Heigham, of
Heigham Hall, in Gazeley, in this county, Esq. He married Jane, the daughter and
co-heir of John Eyre, Esq., Receiver of the Revenues for King Edward VI., in
Suffolk; and had issue Thomas, his son and heir, who resided at Thrandeston, in
Monoden with Sulyards is now the manor and estate of the Lord Rendlesham.
In 1375, Dionysia, widow of Sir Peter de Tye, devised the manor of Hoo, in this
parish, to Sir Robert de Tye, her son, in order to purchase the patronage of
some church, of the value of £.20 per annum,
to appropriate it to the cathedral church of Norwich, to find two secular
priests to celebrate for the souls of John de Hoo, and Dionysia his wife,
William their son, and all the faithful. It appears this Dionysia was the
daughter of John de Hoo, and that her first husband was Sir Edward Charles, of
Randolph, the only son of Randolph Wyard, the eldest son of John Wyard, of
Brundish, Esq., High Sheriff for this county in 1658 and 1659, lived several
years at the Red House, in this parish, formerly the seat of the Stebbing
family; who removed to Pettistree, where he died in 1701.
ARMS. Reve: gules; a chevron, wairy, between three roses, argent. Wyard:
argent; a chevron between three roses, gules, barbed and seeded, proper.
Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page