Ilketshall or Ilcheteleshala
There are four parishes so called, namely: St. Andrew, St. John, St. Lawrence,
and St. Margaret; which are here noticed generally, and collectively. These with
the foregoing parishes, of Bungay St. Mary and Trinity, with Mettingham, which
follows, are commonly termed "The seven parishes of Ilketshal."
Sir Gilbert de Ilketshale was lord of this manor at a very early period; and
according to the usage of those times, assumed his name there from. Thomas de
Ilketshale was his son and heir; as appears by a fine levied in the 7th of King
Henry III.: Gilbert, his son and heir, who succeeded, in the 32nd of that reign
had a charter of free warren in this lordship.
In the 53rd of the same King, Sir James de Ilketshale conveyed an acre of land,
and the advowson of the church of St. John Baptist, in Ilketsal, by fine, to the
Priory of the Holy Cross, in Bungay. He married Maud, daughter of Richard de la
Rokele; and was father of James de Ilketshale, who married Aliva, daughter of
Sir Thomas de Weyland, the Judge.
In the 6th of King Edward II., a deed was executed between Sir James de
Ilketshale, James his son, and Ida his wife; whereby James and Ida did grant the
manor of Ilketsal, in Kelling, in Norfolk, to Sir James, for life; and he
released to them 9 per annum, out of his 15 per annum annuity; which they were
to pay him., and Aliva his wife, for the manor of Hedenham, in Norfolk. This
document is dated at Ilketsal, where the parties probably resided at that
How long this house continued interested here is uncertain. William de
Ilketshale, a younger son of Sir Robert, was living in the 19th of King Richard
II. The will of Sir Thomas Ilketshale, his elder brother, was proved in 1417; by
which it appears he left Philip his son and heir, and a daughter, who died soon
after, without issue; and his sister's children became his heirs, in the 9th of
King Henry V. He was probably the last of this ancient family. His widow
remarried to William Deyvile, Esq.
In 1309, William de la Park resided here. He married Elizabeth, one of the
daughters and co-heirs of John, son of James de Ilketshale; and held a manor in
Aslacton, late Thomas de Chambre's; and the tenements, late Richard de
Sething's; with other property in this parish, in right of such marriage.
Joan, sole daughter and heiress of the Park family, married first, John Duke, of
Brampton, Esq.; by whom she had Thomas, a son and heir: her second husband was
John Strange, Esq., of Norwich. It remained in the Duke family for several
descents, until purchased by the Richmonds. John Richmond married Anne, daughter
of Wm. Gooch, of St. Margaret's, Ilketsal; by whom he had Robert, only son and
heir. John deceased in the 27th of Queen Elizabeth.
It appears to have passed from the Richmond family to that of Ganieys, by the
marriage of Mary, sister and heiress of William Richmond, with Charles Garneys,
Esq., a younger branch of the Kenton family; by whom she had issue Charles
Garneys, Esq., of Mourningthorp, in Norfolk. James Calthorpe, Esq., married
Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Garneys, Esq., who brought a lordship in Ilketsal,
into that family.
In 1474, John Bernard, Esq., of Norwich, bequeathed legacies to the churches of
St. John, St. Lawrence, and St. Margaret, of Ilketsal; he also made a bequest to
The several churches in these parishes were impropriated to the house of
Benedictine Nuns at Bungay, by the gift of Roger de Glanville, and Gundreda his
wife, founders of that Monastery.
By letters patent, dated 18th December, 29th Henry VIII., that King granted to
Thomas, Duke of Norfolk, the site, &c., of the late Monastery, or house of Nuns
of Bungay, then dissolved; also the manors of Bungay, called the Prioress manor,
Lymborne, and Northales; and the advowsons of the rectories of the blessed
Virgin Mary, of Bungay, Ilketshall St. John, Ilketshall St. Lawrence, Ilketshall
St. Andrew, Ilketshall St. Margaret, and Metyngham, in Suffolk; Roughton and
Redynghall, in Norfolk; and the advowsons of the vicarages, or the churches, or
rectories, to the Prioress of the said house of Nuns, in right of the same
belonging; and all other the possessions of the said Monastery; being of the
annual value of £62 2s. l½d.:
to be held by him, and the heirs of his body, in capite, by Knight's service, at
the 20th part of one Knight's fee, and the annual rent of
£6 4s. 3d.
The Abbot of West Dereham, in Norfolk, had a lordship at Ilketsal, called
Lion's; of the gift of Bartholomew, son of Peter de Brancaster, of Barton, in
ARMS. Ilketshale: gules; a fess between two chevronels, or; a
canton, ermine. Park: azure; an eagle displayed, argent.
CHARITIES. St. Andrew, Ilketsal. A double cottage, and about two acres of
land; let at £l1 10s. per annum. Seven acres
of land, called the "Redisham Close;" rent £10
a year. One half of the rents are applied in the reparation of the church, and
the other half towards defraying the various other public expenses of the
St. Margaret, Ilketsal. An annual sum is received, by the churchwardens, for the
benefit of poor persons of this parish, from the trustees of the charity founded
by Henry Smith, in or about the year 1626; the estates of which are situate in
Tolleshunt Darcy, in Essex; an account of the application of which is given, by
the churchwardens, to the trustees. The sum generally received amounts to about
£5; which is given in clothing to the poor.
The town estate consists of a cottage, in two tenements, let at
£4 18s. a year, and 24 acres of land in the
parish of Peasenhall, rent 24, subject to a deduction for land tax. The rents
are appropriated to the reparation of the church, and other public uses of the
Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page