Haschetuna, or Hascetuna
David de Fletwick was early enfeoffed in this lordship, and it was latterly the
property of William Castle, Esq., an officer in the guards; at about the same
period Edmund Jenney, Esq., was proprietor of the tythes, and not the rector.
Theobald, son of Robert Lord Valoins, endowed the Priory and Convent at
Hickling, in Norfolk, which he founded in 1185, with this parish church; and
also that of Parham, in Plomesgate hundred.
The Prior and Convent at Woodbridge, held rents, or land, in this parish, valued
at 19s. 6d.
In this parish church there is yet extant, a very ancient and ruinous vault,
under which is supposed to be deposited the relics of Mr. John Bull, a
celebrated champion in the year 1640, and many years an opulent inhabitant of
the same parish. It is related that there were inclosed within his coffin twelve
swords, and as many scabbards, with this motto, "Nunc quics. Duodecim mihi
gladii, et duodecim mihi vagina"
In 1544, Thomas Thompson, domestic Chaplin to John, Duke of Norfolk, held this
living, with Garboldesham St. John, in Norfolk; to which he was presented, in
1539, by the said Duke, patron of that turn, by grant from Sir Anthony
Wingfield, Knt., true patron.
CHARITIES. A cottage, and about five acres of land, devised by Agnes
Emme, by will, in 1488, for repairing the church, let on a lease, at £13 a year:
the rent is applied to the general repairs of the church. Thomas Tymme, by will,
in 1614, conveyed to eighteen trustees, a house, barn, and 18 acres of land, in
this parish, in trust, for the maintenance of two of the most impotent, poor,
and aged persons, of honest life and conversation, being inhabitants of the town
of Hasketon; such as the trustees for the time being, should think most fitting.
The premises were let on lease for fourteen years, from 1826, at the yearly rent
of £31 10s.; which sum, after deducting for repairs of the buildings, is divided
equally between two aged poor women, chosen by the trustees. Some timber was
sold off the estate many years ago, and the produce was laid out in the purchase
of certain copyhold premises, which let for £9 a year; the rent is divided
between the poor people. Alice Osborne, by will, in 1678, charged the Angel Inn,
in Woodbridge (formerly the Black Boy), with the payment of 20s. a year; to be
distributed at Christmas, amongst the most needy poor of this parish. John
Rutland, by will, in 1776, charged Ins estate in this parish, with the payment
of £3 a year, for three coats for three poor men in this parish. Mary Brown, who
died in 1820, bequeathed the interest of £100, three per cent. Consols, to be
given away to the selected poor here.
Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page