Grundesburch or Grundesburh
In the time of King Edward II., Sir Robert de Tudenham was lord of this manor,
and patron of the living; and in the following reign one of his descendants gave
the said advowson to Michael House (now Trinity College), Cambridge; in whose
patronage it still continues.
In 1392, the 15th of King Richard II., Sir John de Tudenham was owner of this
lordship, with Gorton and Lound, in the hundred of Lothingland.
The family of Blois, who became seated at Grundisburgh Hall in the time of King
Henry VII., and were owners of a good estate in this parish, were of French
extraction, and came into England at the conquest; first settling at Norton, in
this county. Thomas Blois, who lived there in 1470, was father of Thomas Blois,
of the same place, whose son Thomas, married Margery, the daughter of William
Styles, of Ipswich, and had issue:
Richard Blois, of Grundisburgh, died in 1559.= Elizabeth, daughter of Roger
Hill, of Needham.
William Blois, died in 1607. = Alice, daughter of William Nottingham.
William Blois, died in 1621. = Frances, daughter of John Tye, of Ipswich
William Blois, died in 1673. ==Cicely, daughter of Sir Thomas Wingfield, Knt.
Sir William Blois, Knt. = Martha, daughter of Sir Robert Brooke, of Cockfield
Hall, in Yoxford.
He married, secondly, Jane, daughter of Sir Nathaniel Barnardiston, relict of
John Brooke, Esq., eldest son of Sir Robert Brooke, above named. Sir William
died in 1675; and his youngest, and only surviving son, Charles Blois, Esq.,
succeeded; and was created a Baronet, in 1686.
Sir Charles served in Parliament, for Ipswich, in 1689, and for Dunwich, in
1698: he removed to Cockfield Hall, in 1693, upon the death of Mary Brooke, his
mother's sister, the only surviving child of Sir Robert Brooke, and died in
1738. Brampton Gurdon Dillingham, Esq., purchased tin's estate of the Blois's,
and resided here. It is now the occasional residence, and estate of Brampton
Gurdon, of Letton, Esq.
In the will of Walter de Suffield (alias Calthorpe), Bishop of Norwich,
dated 1256, at the Palace of Hoxne, is this bequest:
"To Daniel de Beccles, a standing cup and 20 marks, for the goods he had of
Master William de Horham, all expenses that he did about Grundesburgh church
In 1375, Cardinal de Alenconio, an Italian, was made rector of this parish, and
Archdeacon of Suffolk, by the Pope's provisions; "which now," Fuller observes,
"were grown to be a general grievance to the nation, for when any bishopric,
abbacy, prebend, or good living, was like to be void, the Pope predisposed such
places, to such successors as he pleased. This so displeased the clergy, that
they petitioned the Parliament against such provisors, and among others, against
this Cardinal, who always resided at Rome, and expended the revenues of his
preferment there., to the detriment of this nation."
In 1378, Adam de Lakingheath, priest, was rector of this parish, which he
exchanged for Banham, in Norfolk.
In 1558, Alice Driver, of this parish, suffered martyrdom, at Ipswich, for her
faithful adherence to the doctrines of the reformed protestant religion. She had
been previously placed under confinement in Melton gaol, with one Alexander
Gouche, of Woodbridge; who also suffered at the same time and place.
ARMS. Tudenham: lozenge, argent and gules. Blois: gules; a bend,
vaire, between two fleur-de-lis, argent.
CHARITIES. The "Town Estate" here, comprises some cottages, and about 28 acres
of land, in different closes in the parish; and it appears from old writings, to
have been derived under a grant from the Rev. John Yate, formerly of Burgh, and
to have been vested in feoffees in the time of Henry VIII., in order that the
rents and profits should be employed to the use and benefit of this parish, in
such manner and form as the same had been anciently used and employed. The rent
of the cottages and land together, appears to be about £35 a year, which have
been applied to the reparation of the church. But the commissioners found some
difficulty in obtaining satisfactory information respecting this property, and
recommended the appointment of new trustees. An annual sum of 52s. is paid, as a
rent charge, issuing out of a piece of land in this parish; and it is applied in
furnishing Is. worth of bread weekly; which is distributed at the church, among
the poor. This charity was given by the will of Robert Thinge, who died in 1730.
He also bequeathed an estate for the erection of a new steeple to this parish
church, the old one having become ruinous; which estate was sold by Mr. Thinge's
executors, and the produce expended in the erection of the present building.
John Lucock gave by will, out of certain monies therein mentioned, to purchase
£300, 5 percent. Consolidated Bank Annuities, the dividends to be applied, in
the sum of £5 a year in the purchase of 3d. loaves, to be distributed every
Sunday in the year, to poor people residing in, or belonging to this parish; and
£5 a year towards the maintenance of a Sunday school; the residue to be laid out
in bread and coals, to be distributed on Christmas eve yearly, amongst poor
widows and widowers. The produce of this bequest are applied as the donor
directed, £11 7s. 2d. a year.
Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page