Frostenden, Or Froxedena
It appears the demesne of this parish was anciently in Robert de Biskele (or
Bixley), probably a descendant of a family of that name, who held, under Roger
Bigot, at Bixley, in Norfolk, in the reign of King Henry II.
It subsequently became the estate of the Delapoles, Dukes of Suffolk. In the
28th of King Henry VI., William Delapole died seized of this manor; and, in the
15th of the following reign, Sir Edward Hungerford, John Hey don, and Humphrey
Forster, released by deed, to John Delapole, Duke of Suffolk, his son and heir,
and Elizabeth his wife, William Hastings, Robt. Chamberlain, and others, to the
use of the said Duke and Dutchess, this lordship, with those of Bacton, and
Greeting St. Olave, in this county; which the said Sir Edward Hungerford, &c.,
were seized of, to the use of William Delapole, late Duke of Suffolk, and the
lady Alice his wife, deceased.
John Delapole, created Earl of Lincoln in his father's life time, as his eldest
son and heir succeeded to his Suffolk honours and estates. He was slain in the
battle of Stoke upon Trent, in 1487; when Edmund, his next brother, succeeded;
who being attainted of high treason, was beheaded in 1513, the 5th of King Henry
VIII., and his estates became forfeited to the Crown. The following year this
lordship was granted to Thomas, Lord Howard, eldest son of Thomas, second Duke
of Norfolk, of that house, by his first marriage, and Anne his wife, daughter of
King Edward IV., and the heirs male of their bodies.
This lady died without surviving male issue, and it again reverted to the Crown;
and was granted, in the latter part of Queen Elizabeth's reign, to Morse, who
sold it to John Glover, Esq., of
High House, in Campsey Ash; who, about 1652, sold that estate to John Sheppard,
Gent., and removed hither. In this family the estate continued for many
It afterwards became the property of Edward Hollond, Esq. In 1830, the landed
estates of that gentleman were brought to the hammer, and the freehold
Frostenden and Wrentham estates, including 1,040 acres, with the manor of this
parish, were sold for 39,700 guineas.
The Rev. William St. Andrew Vincent, of Bolney, in the county of Sussex, holds
an estate in this parish, as tenant in chief under the Dean and Chapter of the
Collegiate Church, St. Peter, Westminster, for a lease of 21 years. The Rev.
Richard Gooch, the present incumbent, resides at Frostenden Lodge.
CHARITIES. The church marsh, 8A. 0R. 32p., with a pightle adjoining, 2R.
2p., let at £15 a year. A piece of arable
land, 2A. 2R. 29p., near the former, annual rent £5.
Which rents are applied for the repairs of the parish church. An allotment of
4A. 2R., awarded, on the inclosure, for the use of the poor, let at
£7 10s. a year: the rent is laid out in
coals, which are given to the poor of the parish.
Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page