British Isle Genealogy
 England, Scotland, Ireland, Isle of Man
   Wales, Channel Island, Isle of Wight
 

Framlingham Parish

British Isles Genealogy | County of Suffolk
 

Framlingham, or Framelingaham

So much has already appeared concerning this town, that the subject is become fairly exhausted; and we have nothing to offer, but a very summary account deduced from its various historians, and some brief notices from other sources.

It is distinguished for the remains of its Castle, which was said to have been built in the time of the Saxons. It was one of the principal seats of St. Edmund the Martyr. William Rufus gave this castle to his favorite, Roger Bigod: subsequently, Edward I., gave it to his second son, Thomas of Brotherton, Earl Marshal of England: the next grant was made by King Henry IV., to his son, Henry Prince of Wales, who kept his first court here in 1404-5. On the attainder of the Duke of Norfolk, the castle became forfeited to King Henry VIII., and descended to his son Edward VI., who kept his first court there: he bequeathed it to his sister Mary, and it was soon afterwards restored to the Duke of Norfolk. In 1625, it was sold, with its manor, &c., to Sir Robert Hitcham, Knt., for .14,000; and he settled it on the master and fellows of Pembroke College, Cambridge, who now possess it.

In 1584, Thomas Dove, D.D., was instituted to this living, upon the presentation of the assignee of Philip Howard, Earl of Arundel. He was chaplain to Queen Elizabeth, whom she used to call "the Dove with silver wings."

Fuller ranks him among his London worthies, and says, "he was born in this city, as a credible person of his nearest relation hath informed me, bred a tanquam (which is a Fellow's Fellow), in Pembroke College, in Cambridge. He afterwards became an eminent preacher: and his sermons, substantial in themselves, were advantaged by his comely person, and graceful elocution. Queen Elizabeth was highly affected, and anno 1589, preferred him Dean of Norwich; advanced him, eleven years after, to the Bishopric of Peterborough. He departed this life, 1630, in the thirtieth year of his Bishopric, on the thirtieth of August; who kept a good house whilst he lived, and yet raised a family to Knightly degree."

Dr. Dove held this living in commendam with his Bishopric, and Richard Golty officiated as his curate, from 1 024 to the time of his death; when Mr. Golty was instituted to this rectory, upon the presentation of Theophilus Howard, Earl of Suffolk.

Ryce furnishes the following account of this much persecuted individual: "Richard Goltie, Master of Artes, late rector of Framlingham, married Deborah, daughter of Samuel Ward, Towne-preacher of Ipswich. His grandfather came from Callice, in France, and was afterwards of Ipswich. His estate worth .2,000. At the time when the engagement was pressed to be true and faithful to the commonwealth of England, as then established, and many able men were removed out of their places for not subscribing it, some sectaries articled against Mr. Goltie, and he refusing the engagement tendered him, his living at Framlingham was sequestered from him, and hereafter he resided and preached at Ashbocking. "This was in 1650, when he was ejected; in 1660, Mr. Golty was restored, and continued rector until his death, in 1678.

He was succeeded by Nathaniel Coga, D.D., Master of Pembroke Hall, and in 1681, Vice- Chancellor of the University of Cambridge. Dr. Coga was the first incumbent presented by the Master, Fellows, and Scholars of Pembroke Hall.

The Haberghams were a family of much repute, and acquired some extent of real property in this town; two of whom, if not a third also, officiated as curates here, in succession, as appears by the following extract of baptism from the parish register: "Lawrane Habbargam the son of Lawrane Habbargam and Sewssani his wife his grandfather was eewarret of this town by his fatheres syd, and his grandfather was cewarret by his mother's syd, in this town, so he is the youngeste of the three Larances Habargames that have been known in this town, and he was baptized the 14th of May in A.D. 1622."

Then, as relating either to father or son, a curious entry appears in the churchwardens' account for 1648-9: "Given to Mr. Habergham a quart of Sack when he preached on a Fast-day 1s. 4d. " The senior Mr. Habergham, in his entries in the register, appears to have been strictly exact, as the two following will shew: "Ano Domene 1622. Jhon Tybneham was buryed the 26 day of Marche, and he was brought, withe a pass, the 25th day of Marche, from Param in a cearte, by the Offesseres of Param with a payer of Pothookes abought his necke, and he ded depart his lyff presentle after he was layd downe, in the yere of 1622, and his pass was to send him to a town whiche by the man was named Stok Ashe." "Edward Clarke, the base son of Anne Clarke, was baptized the 24 Febrewary, in 1622, and yf I myght have had my mynd ye should have been named Mayhewe for the crestine name."1

CHARITIES. The town estate comprises about 32 acres of land, lying dispersed in this parish; and has been held previous to, and since the time of King Edward VI., for the general or public benefit of the town of Framlingham. The rents, amounting together to .61 per annum, are applied by the overseers of the poor, with the poor rates. Sir Robert Hitcham's2 charities comprise, among other objects, an almshouse and school, of which the Master and Fellows of Pembroke Hall, Cambridge, are trustees; and therefore the Parliamentary Commissioners did not proceed to make enquiry respecting them. The following is from Mr. Green's account: The presentation to the school is vested in the trustees, and the limited number is 40 boys, whose course of education is confined to reading, writing, and arithmetic; and none can be admitted but those whose parents belong to the parish, and are members of the church of England. The almshouse consists of twelve comfortable apartments for six men, being widowers, and six women, being widows. They are allowed six shillings a week each, with a hat and blue coat annually to the men, and a bonnet and gown to the women; which garments have the arms of Hitcham in colors on the left shoulder: and they are allowed one caldron and a quarter of coals each, for firing, during the winter months. In time of sickness they have the best medical assistance, and if necessary, a nurse is provided free of any expense. Thomas Mills3, in 1703, devised all his messuages, lands, and hereditaments, both free and copyhold, within the county of Suffolk, with his manor called Otley's, and the profits thereof in Ufford, to certain trustees, for the uses after mentioned; and he devised a piece of land called Feak's Pightle, in Framlingham, for the purpose of building an almshouse; and an almshouse was erected thereon, and is occupied by eight persons, of either sex, who are allowed stipends of 5s. per week to each, and are supplied with coals annually, and certain articles of clothing, to the value of about .10, annual; and bread is supplied for the poor of several parishes, in the quantities mentioned in his will. In 1701, Richard Porter gave by will eighteen two-penny loaves, to be delivered weekly to as many poor persons; there are also eight two-penny loaves distributed weekly with the above, given by a person named Warner, out of an estate called Parham House.


1. To those who wish for more ample information concerning this town, we most cordially recommend "Green's History of Framlingham" (to which little work we are indebted for the above extracts); as being not only replete with every information respecting Framlingham, but also as containing many interesting particulars respecting other parishes in that vicinity.

2. See Levingtou for some particulars concerning Sir Robert Hitcham.

3. Mr. Thomas Mills, the founder of the above almshouse, was in early life, it appears, apprenticed to a tailor at Gruudisburgh, after which he repaired to this town in search of work, when he happened to call at a wheelwright's shop, standing upon the very spot which afterwards became his own property, namely, the pre-mises where his remains were interred; and where, until the last few years, a stable stood, which was originally the workshop. On seeing the master, some arrangement took place, and he entered bis employ; when having, after some length of service, acquired a knowledge of the business, his employer ultimately gave up his trade to him, and it is stated left him his whole property, which enabled him to commence as timber merchant. He formed a connection with a congregation of Protestant Dissenters, of the Baptist denomination, in Framlingham, and afterwards became a public teacher among them, which drew upon him much displeasure and perse-cution. At the age of about forty, Mr. Mills married Alice, the widow of Edmund Groome, jun., of Petestree, Gent., by which marriage he acquired a considerable estate in that parish, Ufford, and Dallinghoo (part of the charity property), with other landed property. His other property in Framlingham, Dennington, and Parham, were acquired, it is supposed, by purchase.

 

County of Suffolk

Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page

Search British Isles
 

British Isles Genealogy Records

Channel Islands Genealogy
England Genealogy
Ireland Genealogy
Isle of Man Genealogy
Scotland Genealogy
Wales Genealogy

Other Genealogy Records

Free Genealogy
British Isles Books
Genealogy Library
Canadian Genealogy
Genealogy Gateway
SurnameWeb
Family Tree Guide

Cyndi's List

Sites I Visit

Garden Herbs
Trade Recipes

Sip of Wine
The Little Tea Book

British Isles Genealogy

 

Add/Correct a Link

 

Comments/Submit Data


 

Copyright 2004-, the web pages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission from BIGenealogy. Images may not be linked to in any manner or method. Anyone may use the information provided here freely for personal use only. If you plan on publishing your personal information to the web please give proper credit to our site for providing this information. Thanks!!!