Fylchestowe or Fylstow
The shore here is hold and steep, being composed of a hard sand, intermixed with
shingle, and perfectly free from ooze; and the marine view delightful. During
the late war several martello towers were erected here, for the protection of
the coast, which have since been removed, and the materials disposed of.
On the cliff, about three miles from Landguard Fort, is situated Felixstow
Cottage, the residence of Sir Samuel Fludger, Bart. It was formerly a mere
fisherman's hut, and was purchased by the eccentric Philip Thicknesse, Esq.,
then Lieutenant Governor of the Fort, for £55; whose taste, aided by the
embellishments of his wife's pencil, soon converted it into a charming
occasional retreat; and here they resided during the summer months.
On relinquishing his Lieutenant Governorship, he disposed of this cottage to the
dowager Lady Bateman, for £400: about half the money which he had expended upon
it. The grandmother of the present possessor (Sir Samuel Fludger, Bart.),
purchased it for £2000.1
From the great number of Roman remains, such as urns, rings, coins, &c., that
have been discovered here, it must have been a place of considerable importance
during the time this country was under the Roman yoke. In 1748-5, the Rev.
______ Myers, then vicar of Walton, formed a considerable collection of nearly
4000, in gold, silver, and brass; among them was a splendid brass medallion of
Anthony and Cleopatra; Maximinian, with the reverse "Jori Conservatori,"
and Licinius, "Ubique Victoris," in gold; Denarii of Pescenuius Niger,
Pertinax, and Albinus; and in large and middle brass, from Augustus to the
Constantines. At his death, his valuable cabinets of coins and antiques were
left by will, to the Rev William Brown, of Saxmundham; after whose decease they
were sold, by Mr. Sotheby, of London, by auction, in 1827.
Felixstow of late has become a place of more general resort than formerly:
bathing machines have been provided, and lodging houses erected, for the
accommodation of occasional visitors, who may wish to enjoy its delightful and
invigorating sea breezes in quiet and retirement.
CHARITIES. The following property, which is mentioned in the parish
terrier as having been anciently left for the benefit of poor widows, is
copyhold of the manor of Walton, with Trimley, and is vested in trustees: a
cottage, called "Squires," and a garden adjoining; two parcels of land,
containing together 1A. 3R.; a cottage, called "Knock's House," and half-an-acre
of land; a blacksmith's shop, and an annuity, or customer, yearly payment of
7s., out of land called the "Town Piece," the rents of which amount to £17 6s.
6d.; which, after deducting for repairs and necessary outgoings, is divided
equally amongst poor widows, in quarterly payments.
1. An engraving of the cottage, when inhabited by Governor
Thicknesse, on a reduced scale, was inserted in the Gentleman's Magazine, for
1816, Part ii. p. 105; from a larger one, which is now become scarce, and an
animated description of this dwelling, from the pen of Mrs. Thicknesse, is given
in the same publication, for 1809, Part ii. p. 1012, as extracted from the
"Harwich Guide;" where also the present appearance of the cottage, and the
beautiful marine prospects from it,
Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page