Eyke, or Ike
The lords of Framlingham manor, were for many ages owners of the lordship of
this parish, and patrons of the church; the manor therefore assumed, and still
continues the name of Ike cum Framlingham, although the former was sold
from the latter, about the commencement of the reign of King Charles I.
In the reigns of King Richard II., and Henry IV., John Staverton, Esq., resided
at Staverton Hall, in this parish, and was lord of the manors of Staverton,
Chesylford, Cotton, Newton, Skeyth, and rules and perquisites of messuages and
lands, in Ash, Rendlesham, Blaxhall, and Marlesford. The manor of Chesylford he
gave to the prior and convent at Butley, to pray for his soul and those of his
Several of that name and family resided at Staverton Hall long before his time;
it afterwards, by descent or purchase, came to Thomas Alvard, Gent., who in the
26th of King Henry VIII., died seized thereof. It subsequently became vested in
the Wood family, of Loudham, from whom it passed to William Chapman, Esq.
Staverton Park, which lies partly within the parish of Butley, has now been long
vested in the Barnardiston family: Nathaniel Barnardiston, of the Ryes, near
Sudbury, Esq., is the present owner.
There is a small manor belonging to the rectory here; and since the separation
of the manor of Eyke from that of Framlingham, the following persons have
presented to this rectory: Catherine Gurdry, in 1638; John Barker, of Thorndon,
in 1673; Henry Boughton, in 1689; and lately, the Rev. Jacob Chilton.
In 1329, Robert Redishall (or Redenhall), was instituted to this living, on the
presentation of Thomas de Brotherton, Earl of Norfolk. This rector, in the 32nd
of King Edward III., founded a Chantry in this church, and endowed it with the
manor of Bevants, in Rendlesham; having obtained license of Sir Thomas de
Holbrooke, Knt., and lord of the manor of Colvilles, wherein the former was
This was called St. Mary's Chantry, because the priest thereof always officiated
at St. Mary's altar, and the priest was in the presentation and nomination of
the rector for the time being. The first was admitted in 1351.
Simon Saltfletus was admitted 21st September, 1355. By his will, made in 1380,
he gave 20s. towards making the porch of the chancel, if the parishioners wished
to have such, if not, then to repair the church.
William Ward, admitted September 28, 1537. He was the last Chantry priest, who
upon a survey of the Chantry lands by the Crown, had an annual pension of
£.6 allowed him for life; which was paid him
in 1555. In the 26th of King Henry VIII., the lands were valued at
£.8 per annum.
In 1427, John May was instituted, on the presentation of John Mowbray, Duke of
Norfolk. He died in 1451, and was buried in this chancel. He bequeathed to the
fabric of a new wall on the west part of the church, 10 marks, and to the fabric
of the church, and synods payments of quindismo to the King, a piece of
land called Fen Croft, containing 4 acres, and a piece of meadow called Simondis
Holm, containing 2 acres; also a piece of pasture called Witford, in Bromeswell,
for ever. He was lord of the manors of Debach and Cliffs Burgh, and resided at
this rectory in 1449.
Mr. Francis Pretty, of this parish1, accompanied
Thomas Cavendish, of Trimley St. Martin, Esq., on his first voyage, and wrote
the account thereof, inserted in "Hackluyt's Collection of Voyages."
Mem. In 1821, a small Roman um, and some glass vessels, were discovered
in removing a mound in this parish.
ARMS. Staverton: argent; a bend, raguled, between two mullets,
CHARITIES. There are about 12 acres of land in this parish, and 7 acres
in the parish of Bromeswell, which let at £.28
a year; and the rents are applied in the reparation of the church, &c. The sum
of , £.10 a year is received from Sir
Michael Stanhope's charity, and is distributed by the parish officers among poor
persons, about Christmas (see Sutton for further particulars). Three parcels of
land, containing together about 3 acres 2 rods, were given for the poor of this
parish, by James and Henry Mason, in or about 1620. The rents of these amount to
£.6 19s. a year, and is given away with Sir
M. Stanhope's charity.
1. According to Fuller, but Kirby says, "lately of Ey iu
Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page