Dallinghoo or Dalingahou
This parish is not entirely in this hundred, but part thereof lies within that
of Wilford, known by the name of the Hamlet, and, for distinctions sake, Earl
Dallinghoo; but the other part, in which the church is situate, is in this
hundred, and called Dallinghoo, without any addition. It was held of the honor
of Eye, with three parts in four of the advowson, and Earl Dallinghoo held one
turn in four, to the presentation of an incumbent, as of ancient right.
It formerly belonged to the Bovils, of Letheringham; which manor, with the said
three parts of the advowson, partly by descent and partly by purchase, came
through the several families of Rungeston, Norwich, and Carbonel, to the
Wingfields; who, by usurpation, or otherwise, gained at length the whole right
In the reign of King James I., Thomas Shaw, Gent., lived in good repute in this
parish. He married Elizabeth, one of the daughters of Thomas Fernley, of West
Greeting, in this county, Esq. Mr. Shaw was steward to the Earl of Suffolk, in
his manor of Framlingham, and several other courts in this county.
He died in 1622, and was buried in the chancel of this parish church; Elizabeth
his wife, survived, and remarried to Henry Dade, Esq., second son of Thomas
Dade, of Tannington, in this county, Esq., and Anne Ids wife, the daughter of
Richard Cornwallis, Esq.
Mr. Dade was Bachelor of Laws, and Commissary of the Arch-deaconry of Suffolk:
he resided at Ipswich until his marriage, when he removed from thence, and dwelt
in this parish. Elizabeth his wife, died in 1624, and he married secondly,
Thomasine, the daughter of John Lea, of Coddenham, Gent., and widow of Samuel
William Churchill, Esq., purchased this estate about 1698, of John Dade, M.D.,
and made it his seat. He represented Ipswich in parliament in Queen Anne's
reign, and married Rose, the daughter of John Sayer, of Woodbridge, Gent., by
whom he had issue one daughter, Elizabeth, married to Francis Negus, Esq. It was
lately the estate of the Earl of Rochford, and now belongs to Mr. Archdeckne.
In the reign of King Edward II., Robert de Dalynghoo was owner of laud here,
which he settled upon his daughter, Isabella de Pratt: in a window in this
parish church, was sable, three escallops, argent; supposed to be the arms of
ARMS. Shaw: argent; a chevron between three lozenges, ermine.
Dade: gules; a chevron between three garbes, proper. Churchill:
sable; a lion rampant, argent, debruised with a bendlet, gules.
CHARITIES. The church and poor lands in this parish, consist of seven
cottages, and several pieces of land, containing together nearly 13 acres; the
rents of which amount to; £.30 15s. a year,
subject to land tax and quit rents. This is applied in the repairs of the
church, and in the purchase of bread and coals for the poor. The sum of
£.8 6s. 7d. a year, is received for the poor
of this parish, under Kersey's charity (see Earl Soham). The several sums of
10s., a rent charge for land the property of Andrew Arcedeckne, Esq., and 20s.
from Mill's charity, at Framlingham, is distributed also in bread and coals; and
10s. is payable out of premises in Earl Soham, called the "Stable Yard; "this
was, however, withheld for several years, but whether ever resumed, we are not
Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page