Cretingham or Gretingham
This parish was formerly divided into two, Great and Little Cretingham; but have
long been considered as one village. It contains together four manors; namely,
St. Peter's, as belonging to St. Peter's Priory, in Ipswich; to which house the
church was also impropriated.
2nd. Cretingham Tyes, of which manor John de Hoo was lord, in 1341, then the
Tyes of Easton, who gave it the additional appellation. It has since passed
through the families of Phelip, of Dennington, the Lords Bardolf, the Viscounts
Beaumont; the Wingfield and Rous families: it at length became vested in the
Revets, of Brandeston.
3rd. Little Cretingham; which contained a messuage, 76 acres of land, meadow and
pasture, and £.3 15s. 5d. rent, in this
parish, Monewden, Framsden, and Helmingham. In the time of King Henry III.,
Nicholas de Gretingham was owner thereof; in the 15th of the following reign,
Simon de Gretingham occurs; and about 1361, this property came, either by sale
or descent, to William Clare, Gent.
4th. Kettlebars manor, in the reign of King Henry III., was held by Richard de
Kettlebars; who, by himself or his ancestors, gave name to this lordship, and
built the manor house, encompassing it with a moat; the seat of the family, the
domain of which lying in that part of the parish nearest Earl Soham, contained
100 acres of land, meadow, pasture, and wood, which were held of the honor of
Chester. He was patron of the church of Monewden, and held 20 acres of land in
Kettleburgh, in 1219, and 40 acres in Easton: he left issue John de Kettlebars,
his son and heir, who sold the advowson of Monewden, and 18 acres of land there,
in 1263, to William Weyland, Esq.
In 1381, Margaret de Kettlebars, after the decease of her two brothers without
issue, did homage for her lands in Kettleburgh, at Framlingham Castle; and
afterwards married Thomas Mulso, Esq., or sold him the manor of Kettlebars, in
this parish; which descended to William his son, whose only daughter and heir,
by Anne his wife, married Lionel Lowthe, Esq., and Margaret their only daughter
and heir, married Richard Cornwallis, Esq., about the commencement of Queen
Elizabeth's reign; who in her right inherited this manor.
He was third son of Sir John Cornwallis, of Brome, in this county, Knt,. by Mary
his wife, daughter of Edward Sulyard, Esq., and brother of Sir Thomas
Cornwallis, Comptroller of the Household to Queen Mary, whom he greatly aided.
In this parish church are monuments for Lionel Lowthe, and Margaret his
daughter, relict of Richard Cornwallis, who was buried at Shotley, in this
county; and also memorials to some other members of the Cornwallis family.
The manor of Tyes, in Cretingham, was held by a family of Knight's degree, of
that name, for several generations; part of which estate afterwards passed to
the Daundy's, of Ipswich. William, son of Edmund Daundy, Esq., a portman of that
borough (who erected at his own expense the market cross, in 1510, during his
bailiwick, and founded the almshouse in Lady Lane), resided in this parish.
He married Agnes, daughter of Thomas Alvard, of Ipswich, Esq., by whom he had
issue two sons, Thomas and Arthur, steward of Grays Inn, and one daughter.
Thomas Daundy, Gent., their eldest son, married Anne, the daughter of John
Falstaff, of Pettaugh, Gent., by whom he had issue one son, Thomas, and nine
daughters. He died in 1580, and was buried here.
Thomas Daundy, their only son, succeeded: he married Martha, the daughter of
John Poley, of Badley, Esq., by whom he had issue four sons and five daughters.
Their father removed from this parish to Combes Hall, in Stow hundred, where he
died, in the reign of King James I., and lies interred under a marble stone in
that parish church.
William Keene, in 1466, was instituted to the rectory of Burston, in Norfolk, on
the presentation of the Prior and Convent, at Butley. By his will, dated and
proved in 1472, he desired to be buried in the chancel of this parish church.
Robert Sayer was minister of this parish in the latter part of the reign of King
Charles I., and expended a large sum upon the parsonage house, which he almost
rebuilt, and made it a very convenient habitation. He died in 1649, and was
buried in this church-yard, a little southward from the porch, with two of his
sons: Robert Sayer, B.D., the eldest, was prebendary of York, and rector of
Westley, in Cambridgeshire, he deceased in 1681; and William Sayer, the second
son, was a portman of Ipswich, and died in the same year.
ARMS. Mulso: ermine; on a bend, sable, three goats' heads erased, argent,
armed, or. Lowthe: sable; a wolf salient, argent. Daundy: quarterly, azure and
or; on the first, a mullet of the second. Sayer: gules; a chevron between three
falcons, argent; a chief, ermine.
CHARITIES. The town lands of this parish were principally settled or
given, in or about the 3rd of Queen Elizabeth, by Arthur Penning and William
Barwick, for keeping the church in good re-pair, and for the general benefit of
the parishioners. It consists of two parcels of land, containing together about
7½ acres, let at a
£.19 5s. a year; the Bell Inn, the
acquisition of which is unknown, rent £.13
per annum; a cottage and blacksmith's shop, rent £.10
a year; a cottage lately erected at the expense of the parish, yearly rent,
£.6 10s.; one double cottage, and one single
ditto, rent uncertain. The rents are applied to the repairs of the church, and
defraying other expenses of the churchwardens; and the surplus is paid to the
overseers of the poor, and applied in reduction of the parochial rates. In 1819,
the Rev. Joseph Jefferson, late vicar of this parish, settled two pieces of
copyhold land, containing together two acres, in augmentation of the glebe land
belonging to the vicarage, for the use of his successors; subject to the the
payment of 40s. a year, at Michaelmas, to the churchwardens and overseers, for
the benefit of the poor. This annuity is laid out in coals, which are
distributed among poor people.
Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page