Cedestan or Cheston
Robert de Vallibus (or Vaux), gave certain tithes in this parish to Thetford
Abbey, but the rectory was appropriated to the Priory of Pentney, in Norfolk, of
which he was the founder; and they presented the vicar until the dissolution of
that Monastery. The patronage of this church is now vested with that of
Halesworth, and belongs to Mrs. Badeley, whose husband was formerly the
incumbent here. The Rev. Charles Joseph Badeley is the present vicar.
In the 2nd of King Henry IV., John Godfrey was living in this parish; he married
Catherine, relict of Nicholas Gavel, of Kirby Cane, in Norfolk, Esq. In the time
of King Charles I., Norton, Esq., was a resident here.
In 1655, Sir John Pettus, Knt., held this lordship and estate. He took part with
King Charles, against the Parliament, and com-pounded for
£886 13s. 4d. About this period Richard
Potter and Humphrey Heyward, Gents., were residents in Chediston.
Roger Young, minister of St. Nicholas parish, in Ipswich, was owner of an estate
in this place, worth about £60 or
£70 per annum, purchased by Dr. Thomas
Young, his father. Chediston Hall is now the estate and residence of George
A branch of the house of Claxton became early seated here, who derive from the
parish of Claxton, in Norfolk. In the 20th of King Henry III., Walter de Claxton
was interested there; and considerable property was conveyed by William de
Claxton, in that parish and its vicinity, to Sir Thomas de Kerdeston, Knt., who
deceased in 1446.
The first of this family concerned here, appears to be Stafford Claxton; whose
son William, of Cheston, married and had issue:
Hamon Claxton, of this parish.=Alice, d. of John Cocket, of Ampton, Esq.
William Claxton, of Cheston.= Elizabeth, dau. of John Throgmorton, of
Allhallows, in South Elmham.
Mary Browne, of = John Claxton, Esq., = Elinor, dau. of Thomas Sydney, of
Waisingham in Norfolk, Norfolk, 1st wife [ of this parish.
Hamon and Elizabeth Claxton.
Hamon, second son of the above William Claxton, and Elizabeth his wife, resided
at Great Livermere, in this county; in the account of which parish his descent
will be noticed.
ARMS. Claxton: gules; on a fess, between three hedgehogs, argent, an
escutcheon of pretence, barry of ten, of the 2nd, azure; a canton, ermine.
CHARITIES. The town estate here is a farm, comprising a house, barn, stable, and
about 30 acres of land, called "Cheston Town Farm." It has been vested in
trustees since the reign of Henry VII., for the repairs of the church, and other
charges to be imposed upon the town of Cheston; and is at present let for
£30 a year. The rent is applied as the trust
directs. An alrnshouse, in three tenements, with a small piece of ground,
divided into separate gardens, was settled in trustees, by Henry Claxton, by
deed dated in 1575, for the use of the poor inhabitants of this parish: the
premises are occupied by three poor families. An annuity of 20s. payable out of
three acres of land, in Cookley, called "Bowers," and a common way leading from
Walpole towards Harleston, was granted and assigned by the Rev. Thomas Sagar,
vicar of Chediston, to trustees, to be distributed to the most needy poor of
that parish on St. Thomas's day. This annuity is paid by Lord Huntingfield, the
owner of the property charged. The annual sum received from Henry Smith's
charity, at present varies from £15 to
£20; which is given away to poor persons of
the parish in meal, in quantities according to the size of their families.
Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page