Butelea, or Buttelay
This parish is situated in two hundreds; the church being in this, and the abbey
in Plomesgate hundred, for which see an account.
In a pastoral song written here in 1792, by the Rev. John Black, the poet
celebrates the "fair Donegall; "Barbara, the third wife of Arthur, first
Marquess of Donegall. She was the daughter of the Rev. Dr. Godfrey; was married
to his lordship Oct. 12th, 1790, and they both resided in this parish
occasionally, for many years.
The Marquess's first wife was Anne, the only daughter of James, Duke of
Hamilton, by Elizabeth, the daughter and heir of Edward Spencer, of Rendlesham,
Esq.; by whom he had George Augustus, the present Marquess.
Staverton Park, in Butley, has long been the property of the family of
Barnardiston; and Nathaniel Barnardiston, of the Eyes, near Sudbury, Esq., is
now the owner of it.
The Rev. John Black was for many years a resident in Wood-bridge, and died
there, August 30, 1813, in the 59th year of his age. He was licensed to the
perpetual curacy of this parish in 1789, and to that of Ramsholt in 1807; was
highly respected for the excellence of his understanding, and the amiable
qualities of his heart.
Mr. Black was a good classical scholar, and possessed a considerable share of
poetical talent. The pious resignation of a Christian supported him in the
troubles and privations which it was his hard lot to encounter in domestic life.
He published some sermons preached on particular occasions, and "Solitary
Musings, in Verse," 8vo.; in 1799, "Poems,"8vo., which were honored by a very
large subscription, and to which is prefixed his portrait; and, in 1801, "The
Free School, a Poem; "to which is added, "An Elegy on the Death of Edmund
Jenney, of Bredfield, Esq., and of Philip Bowes Broke, Esq., of Nacton, "who
both died in that year. Also "An authentic Narrative of the Mutiny on board the
ship Lady Shore, with particulars of a Journey through part of Brazil, in a
letter dated ' Rio Janeiro, Jan. 18, 1798,' "from his son, one of the surviving
officers of the ship.
CHARITIES. By deed, dated in 1731, Thomas Lynd, conveyed to trustees, two pieces
of land, containing by estimation one acre, in trust for the use and maintenance
of the poor inhabitants of tins parish. This land is let at the rent of
£.1 5s. a year; which, with 10s. 6d. a year,
the rent of a small piece of ground, on which an. old town-house formerly stood,
is distributed among poor widows, and other poor persons.
Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page