Buresiart or Burisyerde
The College here was originally established at Campsey-Ash, but was removed
hither by Maud, Countess of Ulster, in 1354; and the priests had in the manor
place here, a common refectory, dormitory, and a chapel dedicated to the
annunciation of the Virgin Mary. At the instance of Lionel, Duke of Clarence,
this college was surrendered to the use of an Abbess and sisters, nuns
minoresses of the order of St. Clare, in 1366; and so continued, until its
Pope Urban V., about 1364, permitted Maud de Lancaster, to enter the order of
St. Clare, and to leave the order of St. Austin nuns, wherein she had made her
profession, at Campsey, after the death of her husband. This lady is considered
the foundress of this nunnery, but by some authorities, Lionel, Duke of
Clarence, is styled the founder.
In "Liber Valorum," 1534, gross value, £78
2s.; and to this house were appropriated the churches of Bruisyard, Sutton,
Buimere, Burgh, Rendlesham, and Rewenhall: the manors of Wrabnes, of Hargham,
Winston, South Repp, Rokehall, Stanford, Holbrook, Tatingstone, Wilton, and
The site, called Rokehall, with the manor, and patronage of the vicarage, is now
vested in the Earl of Stradbroke.
Sir Nicholas Hare, Knt., the grantee, was Master of Requests to King Henry
VIII., and King Edward VI.; Chief Justice of Chester in the 32nd of the former
King; and Master of the Rolls, and of the Privy Council, to Queen Mary; Lord
Keeper of the Great Seal, and was twice chosen Speaker of the House of Commons.
He raised the greater part of the estate the family now possess. By Catherine,
daughter and co-heir of John Bassingborne, of Woodhall, in Hertfordshire, Esq.,
he left issue four sons, who all died without issue male, and the principal part
of his estate devolved upon Sir Ralph Hare, grandson of his brother John. Sir
Nicholas died in 1557, seized of this Abbey.
Anne, his daughter, married Thomas Rous, Esq., of Henham Hall, ancestor of the
present noble proprietor, who probably inherits this estate in right of that
The Rev. Matthew Scrivener, formerly of Catherine Hall, Cam-bridge; made an
augmentation of £6 13s. 4d. to this curacy,
and laid it as a rent charge upon an estate in this parish, to be paid annually
to the curate, for ever. Mr. Scrivener was minister of Haslingfield, about five
miles south of Cambridge.
Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page