In the early part of the reign of Bang Henry III., the demesne of this parish
was vested in Sir Bartholomew D'Avilers; and John de Odingsols, who was living
in the time of King Edward II., was lord of the manors of Pyrington, Cavendish,
In the 36th of King Edward III., John, son of John de Norwich, held in his
demesne, as of the manor of Wathe, and the advowson of the church of Bradwell,
of the King, in capite, by the service of paying 4s. per annum to the Castle of
The parish contains the manor of Caxton Hall, and a portion of that of Gapton
Hall; the former belonged to the Prior and Knights of St. John, of Jerusalem;
and the latter, to the Priory of Leigh, in Essex. They were both granted, by
Henry VIII., to the Cavendish family.
In 1474, John Jernegan, of Somerleyton, Esq., bequeathed to his eldest son, John
Jernegan, the manors and advowsons of Somerleyton, Stonham Jernegan, Horham, and
Bradwell; with the foundation of the house of St. Olave's: and the owners of
Somerleyton have continued a paramountship not only over these, but all the
other manors in this hundred, since that period. The Rev. Geo. Anguish, of
Someleyton, is now lord and patron of this parish.
Hopland Hall is situated at the south-east corner of this parish, the residence
of John Penrice, Esq., of Yarmouth, late Captain in the 1 5th (or King's)
Hussars; eldest son of Thomas Penrice, Esq., a descendant from an ancient family
of the same name in Worcestershire; the residuary legatee of John Howe, last
Lord Chedworth. Captain Penrice married Maria Catherine, eldest daughter of
Herbert Newton Jarrett, Esq., of Great Bromley Lodge, in Essex.
Robert Camell, LLD, rector of this parish and Lound, was elected, in 1731,
Coadjutor (or Assistant Minister) of St. Peter Mancroft, in Norwich. He
published several anonymous tracts, and three Sermons preached at Yarmouth, with
his name affixed. Mr. Blomefield, the Norfolk historian, acknowledges himself
bound in gratitude to this gentleman, for the valuable assistance he received in
that and various other undertakings. Mr. Camell deceased in 1732.
ARMS. Penrice: party per pale, indented, argent and gules: in
canton, a wolf's head couped at the neck, sable. Camell: gironne of
eight, or and sable.
Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page