Blactheshala or Blakesale
In the 9th of King Edward I., this was the lordship and estate of Richard de
Weyland: and in the 23rd of King Edward III., Bartholomew de Berghersh obtained
a charter of free warren to himself and Cicely his wife, and their heirs, in all
his demesne lands in this parish. He deceased in the 43rd of that reign, seized
thereof; leaving issue an only daughter and heiress, Elizabeth, who married
Edward Le Despencer, and he inherited this manor and estate in her right.
Anne, their daughter, married, first, Sir Hugh Hastings, of Elsing and
Gressenhall, in Norfolk, Knt.; and secondly, Thomas, Lord Morley. He deceased in
the 4th of Henry V.; she survived until 1426, and died seized of this manor, and
Clopton, in Suffolk: it soon after became vested in the Glemham family.
In 1764, it was the property of Dudley North, of Glemham, Esq., by purchase from
John Bence, Esq., who bought it of Warryn, Esq.
Weever, in his "Ancient Funeral Monuments," has the following from this parish
church: "John Glemham, esquyer, Anne and Elenor, his wyves, the which John dyed
in anno 1400. Anne in anno 1400, and lady Elenor 1404."Some mistake in these
dates, or they could not both have been the wives of this John Glemham.
William Bulleyn, of a respectable family of the same name in this county, was
born in the Isle of Ely, in the early part of the reign of King Henry VIII. At a
proper age he was sent to Cambridge, which he quitted probably alter taking his
Bachelor's degree, and went to Oxford, where he applied himself to the study of
medicine, and read the Greek and Arabian writers, in both which languages he
appears to have been tolerably skilled.
While resident there he made excursions through the neighboring counties, paying
great attention to the plants that he had found recommended in the cure of
diseases; and after taking the degree of Doctor, he extended his excursions,
traveling over the greater part of England and Scotland. He afterwards visited
the Continent with the same view: on his return he was made rector of Blaxhall,
through the interest probably of his family, and practiced medicine there.
There are two portraits of him, both cut in wood: the one a profile, with a long
beard, published with his "Government of Health," an 8vo. volume, 1548; the
other a whole length, to his "Bullein's Bulwork of Defence against all sickness,
sourness, and wounds that do dayly assault mankind;" folio, 1562. His last work
is entitled, "A Dialogue, both pleasante and pietifull; wherein is a goodlie
Regimen against the Fever Pestilence; with a Consolation and Comfort against
Death;" 8vo., 1564. He died, January 7, 1576.
CHARITIES. Thomas Garthwaite, and Elizabeth his wife, gave a messuage in
Woodbridge, called the Red Cross, the rents thereof, after necessary repairs, to
be employed for the clothing of poor men, women, and children of this parish;
but so as not to lessen or abate any sums of money which ought to be assessed
and collected for the necessary relief of the poor. This property lets for about
£18 per year, and is laid out in clothing,
which is given to poor families of the parish.
Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page