Alwartuna, Erwarton, Erevelton, or Everwarton
This parish, at a very early period, became the inheritance of the De
Anwelhyer's (or D'Avilers) family. Bartholomew D'Avilers, in or about 1227, left
it to his son, Richard; whose possessions, which laid here, and in Brome, in
this county, and Shelf hanger, in Norfolk, were then worth 40 per annum.
They were held by the serjeantry of leading the foot soldiers of the two
counties of Norfolk and Suffolk, into Wales, as often as the King should happen
to resort into those parts with his army; for which he was to have four-pence of
each, for conduct money, and
the rest of their maintenance was to be at the King's cost.
It continued in the said house, after the above period, for four generations:
Bartholomew D'Avilers being the last owner, of that family; on whose death, in
1330, it passed to that of Bacon, by the marriage of Sir Robert Bacon, Knt.,
with Isabel, one of his daughters, and co-heiresses, who held Arwerton, as her
share of the property; and ultimately the entire inheritance of her father
devolved upon this lady, her sisters, it is presumed, having died without issue.
Sir Robert Bacon, and Isabel, his wife, had issue an only son, Bartholomew, and
a daughter, Isabel; who married Sir Oliver Calthorpe, of Burnham Thorp, in
Sir Bartholomew Bacon, her brother, died in the 15th of King Richard II., 1392;
and Isabel, his sister, being his sole heir, Sir Oliver, her husband, inherited
in her right, this, and divers other lordships.
Sir Oliver Calthorpe died in the latter part of the above reign, and Isabel, his
wife, survived until the 12th of the following reign, 1411.
Their descendants continued to inherit this property, until the death of Sir
Philip Calthorpe, in 1549; who, by Jane his wife, daughter of Sir William
Boleyn, of Blickling, in Norfolk, left issue Elizabeth, only daughter, and
This lady became the second wife of Sir Henry Parker1,
K.B., second son and heir of Henry Parker, first Lord Morley, of that house, and
lady Alice, his wife, daughter of Sir John St. John, of Bletso, in Bedfordshire,
By this marriage, this lordship, with considerable property in the county of
Norfolk, passed from the Calthorpe family to that of Parker; and Philip, son and
heir of the above Sir Henry Parker, and Elizabeth, his wife, succeeded: he
disposed of much of the Norfolk property, and settled in this parish; where he
built the hall, the old gateway of which still remains, as a curious specimen of
Sir Philip received the honour of knighthood from Queen Elizabeth, in her
progress through this county, in 1578; and served the office of Sheriff, in
1580. His descendants continued to reside here for many generations; and Philip
Parker, Esq., his great grandson, was created a Baronet, in 1661. (For further
particulars concerning whom, consult "Wotton's English Baronets," edit, of
This estate appears to have devolved upon the heirs of Calthorpe Parker, third
son of Sir Philip, the first baronet; probably by the failure of male issue, in
the elder branch of that family. He assumed the name of Long; and it
subsequently became the inheritance of the dowager lady of the Right Hon. John
Thynne Howe, second Lord Chedworth, who was one of the daughters of Sir Philip
Parker Long, Bart. Erwarton Hall was sold, by the Earl of Egmont, in 1786, to
William Berners, Esq.
Sir Henry Parker, the first Lord of that house, died in 1551, and Lady
Elizabeth,2 his widow, remarried
to Sir William Woodhouse, of Hickling, in Norfolk, Knt. He died in 1564, leaving
several children, the issue of that marriage; and she shortly after took to her
third husband, Sir Drue Drury, of Ridlesworth, in the same county, Knt., but had
no issue by that marriage.
The statement that Sir Philip Parker purchased this property of Sir Drue Drury,
we apprehend, is not correct; Sir Drue held it in right of this marriage, and it
became afterwards the property of Sir Philip Parker, her son, by lawful
A branch of the noble, and very ancient family of Cornwallis, by marriage with
that of Parker, became connected with this place; several of whose descendants
are interred in this parish church.
Sir William Cornwallis, Knt, married Catherine, daughter of Sir Philip Parker,
Knt., by Catherine, daughter of Sir John Goodwin, of Winchendon, in
He was eldest son of Sir Charles Cornwallis, Knt., Ambassador to King James I.,
and afterwards Treasurer of the Household to his Royal Highness Henry, Prince of
Wales, by Elizabeth, his first wife, daughter of Thomas Fincham, of Fincham, in
Sir William was a learned and ingenious essayist, on various subjects, in which
he displayed much wit and judgment.
Thomas Cornwallis, his grandson, entered into holy orders, and was instituted to
the rectory of Erwarton, in 1686; and in 1687, he was appointed Chaplain to the
Right Hon. the Earl of Warwick and Holland: on the 27th of June, in that year,
he was instituted to the rectory of Bradley Parva, in this county; and on the
26th of September following, he married Mary, the daughter of Mr. Robert Cock,
of Wherstead, Suffolk.3
In the 25th of Henry III., Robert Bacun, was petent in a fine, and Joan,
Prioress of Campsey, in this county, tenant, of 6s. 9d. rent here, and in
Thwayt, in Norfolk, granted before by Roger Bacun, brother of Robert, to that
Priory, and now released.
ARMS. D'Avilers: argent, three escutcheons, gules. Bacon: argent, on a
fess engrailed between three escutcheons, gules; as many mullets, or. Parker:
argent, a lion passant, gules, between two bars, sable; thereon, three bezants,
two, and one; in chief, as many bucks' heads caboshed, of the third.
CHARITIES. Two tenements, occupied by poor persons, rent free. Three
parcels of laud, containing together, about IA. 2R., let at rents amounting
together to £7 9s. a year. The rents of the land are applied, after providing
for repairs of the cottages, in the purchase of coals, which are sold to the
poor at a reduced price.
Pedigree. Parker Of Erwarton
Sir William Parker, Knt. = Alice, daughter and heir of William, Lord
____________ Morley, juri uxoris. Ob. 1518, aet. 60.
Henry Parker, Lord Morley, juri matrix. = Alice, daughter of Sir John de St.
Ob. 1556, aet. 80. ______________ of Bletsoe. Ob. 1552, set. 66.
Sir Henry Parker, Knt., eldest son and Elizabeth, daugh. and heir of Sir Philip
heir. Ob. vita patris. ___________ Calthorpe, Knt. 2nd wife.
Sir Philip Parker, of Erwarton, Knt. 1578= Catherine, dau. of Sir John Goodwin.
Sir Calthorpe Parker, Knt., M.P. for=Mercy, daughter of Sir Peter Soames.
Sir Phil. Parker, Bart., M.P. for Harwich = Dorothy , daughter and heir of Sir
Robt. Gawdy, of Claxton, Norfolk. Obt. Jan. 14, 1638. Buried at Erwarton.
Sir Philip Parker, Bart.=Rebecca, daughter and heir of Walter ______Long, of
Sir Philip Parker, Bart.=Mary, daughter of Samuel Fortrey, of Ryall Fenns, Camb.,
Sir Philip Parker, Bart. Ob. Jan. 20, Martha, daughter of William, East, Esq.
1741, set. 58.
2. A Portrait of this lady, engraved by Bartolozzi, is given
amongst the "Portraits of Illustrious Persons in the Court of Henry VIII."
Published by Chamberlaine, in 1792: and in the "Genealogical History of the
House of Yvory," 2 vols. 8vo., 1742, are engraved Portraits, by Faber, of
Sir Philip Parker A Morley, of Erwarton, in the County of Suffolk, Knt.,
son of Sir Henry Parker, Knt., eldest son and heir of Henry Parker, Lord Morley,
and lineal ancestor to Catherine Parker, now Countess to Egmont. Knighted by
Queen Elizabeth, 1578.
Catherine, daughter of Sir John Goodwin, of Wincheudon, in the County of
Buckingham, Knt., wife of Sir Philip Parker, Knt., brother of Sir Henry, and
half-brother to Lord Morley.
The Right Hon. Catharine, wife to John Perceval, Earl of Egmont, eldest
daughter to Sir Philip, and sister to Sir Philip Parker Morley Long, of
Erwarton, in the County of Suffolk, Bart.; the last of that family. Born, 1689;
married, 20th June, 1710; now living, 1744.
3. For an account of their numerous descendants, and more ample
particulars of this branch of the Cornwallis family, see Gents. Mag. for 1826,
pp. 406, 502.
Topographical and Genealogical, The County of Suffolk, 1844, Augustine Page